CUPERTINO, Calif., Oct. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of its annual Insight event for the analyst community, Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, today unveiled the company's vision for a smarter security model inspired by a changing security landscape now marked by data breaches, and the opportunities and challenges generated by mobile devices, cloud implementations and targeted attacks.
Trend Micro CEO, Eva Chen, outlined her vision of the new model, the core of which centers on a data-centric, anti-hacker framework:
- The security industry is at a crossroads, facing a complicated horizon that covers an escalation of targeted attacks against companies; growth in the use of unsecured personal mobile devices; and cloud implementations where data can be accessed anytime, anywhere. A bolder approach to security is needed within this new environment where users don't know who or what to trust.
- Unlike traditional, perimeter-centric security, which assumed protectable boundaries surround critical data, the new model recognizes the level to which data is exposed and aims to rebuild lost confidence by shifting focus to the data itself.
- Trend Micro plans to build trust within the post-PC landscape where data and devices are exposed and ubiquitous. The new security model puts the spotlight on data by integrating threat and data protection capabilities within a unified framework, ensuring visibility into who is accessing what data, when, where and how.
- This new model updates and adds to the power of the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ infrastructure, which correlates data from more than 70 billion daily queries and has protected more than 130 million users since it was first unveiled in 2008. Customers of all sizes will continue to benefit from this real-time, cloud-based protection.
- Under this vision, the company will build upon the cloud-based security of the Smart Protection Network by adding two essential capabilities developed with the underlying principle that data needs to be protected wherever it travels and wherever it resides:
- Smarter threat protection brings the power of Trend Micro's global, cloud-based detection and correlation technologies inside a customer's environment with newly-developed local threat intelligence throughout their network to identify and protect against targeted attacks.
- Smarter data protection enables integrated data protection and contextual awareness throughout the organization to ensure the confidentiality and protection of valuable data across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Trend Micro is delivering more adaptive and contextually-aware security that protects the data itself – whether on a device or server; at home or on the road; in physical, virtual or cloud environments -- and provides the intelligent integration and coordination required to manage, control and defend that data in real time.
Benefits for both businesses and consumers
- For businesses, the realization of Trend Micro's vision will mean better, faster threat protection; adaptive security that enables rather than hinders business productivity; and increased efficiency and manageability of their security, which leads to lower TCO. It means they can embrace the opportunities and advantages of cloud computing and consumerization with new confidence.
- For consumers, Trend Micro will be better equipped to protect their digital lives located on computers, smartphones, or smartpads. With security threats becoming more pervasive and cybercriminals targeting consumers on mobile devices or engaging with friends on social networking sites, consumers of all ages need smarter, more complete protection.
During 2012 and beyond, this smarter new security model will be integrated into select Trend Micro security solutions already powered by the Smart Protection Network, serving customers who are especially concerned about their journey into the cloud, the growth of consumerization of IT within their companies, and the spread of targeted attacks. The model will manifest itself across four main Trend Micro cloud solution "pillars" of: data, infrastructure, mobile devices, and applications.
Eva Chen, CEO, Trend Micro
"Stagnation is not an option in an industry where a multi-billion dollar cybercriminal enterprise works relentlessly to steal customers' data – and their trust. We need to continually innovate to stay ahead, and help our customers regain confidence as we deliver better security. Three years ago, Trend Micro led the industry with the Smart Protection Network, which delivered security from the cloud. Now, we are moving even further ahead in the face of advanced, multi-faceted, targeted attacks by leveraging our scalable cloud security advantage and customizing it for the data, infrastructure, devices and applications supporting the cloud journey."
Steve Quane, Chief Product Officer, Trend Micro
"This is a fundamental change in the approach to security for organizations who have relied on a perimeter-based network security model, and for consumers whose digital lives are increasingly mobile. Our new data-centric framework takes into account the changes required to secure data in an accelerating cloud-dominated world."
For the presentation on this vision please visit our media room.
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704;TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ cloud computing security infrastructure, our products and services stop threats where they emerge – from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and the products and services are available at Trend Micro.com. This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://trendmicro.mediaroom.com/ and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro.
SOURCE Trend Micro Incorporated