BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE:4704), a global leader in consumer digital information security, continues to deliver on its promise to move beyond PC antivirus and establish itself as a major mobile security and utility player with its successful expansion of products and services in the mobile world. Today, tens of millions of customers rely on Trend Micro's global offerings, providing strong evidence of its position as a leader of cloud security solutions.
Moving into 2013, Trend Micro's top priority is to ensure that consumers are living in a world where it is safe and easy to digitally exchange information. As the world continues to transition into an "always on, always mobile" environment, it is Trend Micro's mission to secure and enhance the mobile experience for users via the device, cloud, network and at home.
"2012 was a significant milestone in our company history," said Akihiko Omikawa, board member, executive vice president of global consumer business, Trend Micro. "We have been recognized as an industry leader in security for the past 25 years. We continue to challenge ourselves and have spent the past 18 months building and expanding our leadership in our mobile business. We are excited to begin the next chapter in positioning ourselves as the technology leader in mobile security beyond Japan."
2012 – A year focused on mobile technology and innovation
This past year Trend Micro made great strides to move beyond PC antivirus. Major highlights in consumer mobile include:
- Formed a dedicated team for mobile-related products and services.
- Within the year expanded the portfolio of products with the goal of helping consumers enjoy their digital lives safely.
- Developed and successfully executed on a comprehensive consumer mobile strategy that goes beyond antivirus and beyond the device:
- Beyond Antivirus: Moved beyond just protecting mobile devices from malicious links and malware, and created products and services to enhance battery life, backup critical data, manage online passwords and sync & share information, all with the aim of enhancing the customers' mobile experience
- Beyond the Device: Expanded beyond solutions for the device, and created innovative new solutions to protect app stores, network connections, and data stored in the cloud
2013 – A year focused on being number #1 in Mobile
Within 9 months of its new strategy, Trend Micro became #1 in sales in consumer mobile security within Japan*. With that accomplishment, Trend Micro has set its sights on replicating that success in other parts of the world, with special emphasis on the United States in this coming year. Building on our past success, Trend Micro is expanding its consumer portfolio and leveraging its innovative Trend Micro™ Mobile App Reputation, an automated application reputation technology that identifies mobile apps that are malicious or resource-intensive. Going forward, the key pillars for Trend Micro's global mobile success are best explained as:
- INNOVATION - Trend Micro is constantly innovating and improving its products. Last year, Trend Micro introduced the world's first automated Mobile App Reputation Service for app stores and the first mobile utility with cloud intelligence (Trend Micro™ Longevity Battery Saver). In 2013, Trend Micro's innovation continues with today's announcement of the latest Mobile Security solution, Trend Micro™ Mobile Security that now includes Privacy Scanner for Facebook, the first mobile app that scans Facebook privacy settings for potentially unsafe exposure of private information (see press release).
- PARTNERSHIPS – Trend Micro is partnering with other leaders in the mobile space to protect users throughout the ecosystem. Examples to date include:
- BlackBerry® – BlackBerry is using Trend Micro Mobile App Reputation service in coordination with its internal proprietary system for analyzing third-party apps available on the BlackBerry® World™ storefront
- KDDI – KDDI, which provides mobile services and is named ''au'' in Japan, distributes Trend Micro Mobile Security™ to millions of their subscribers
- Chungwa Telecom – The leading Taiwanese telecom provider is both distributing Trend Micro™ Mobile Security to their millions of consumer and corporate subscribers and is using Trend Micro Mobile App Reputation to protect their HAMI app store
- Androider.jp – The leading Japanese Android™ application review and information website is using Trend Micro Mobile App Reputation solution to pre-screen applications for irregularities and security issues
- LEGACY OF SUCCESS - Trend Micro is translating success in Japan to grow key markets such as the United States and Australia through the expansion of technology, products, partners and avenues to market. Currently Trend Micro's mobile security solution which goes by VirusBuster™ Mobile in Japan is:
- The 3rd highest grossing non-game app in Google Play globally**
- #1 in market share for mobile security in Japan***
- #1 most downloaded app in the KDDI AU Smart Pass service****
"With our innovative products, global partners, and comprehensive strategy, Trend Micro is well-positioned to advance and expand our leadership in mobile. Our focus is to provide mobile solutions that will help create a safe and enjoyable experience for the user while exchanging digital information," stated Khoi Nguyen, head of Trend Micro's global consumer mobile business unit. "With our commitment to mobile, our legacy, and are current success, we are striving for triple digit growth in 2013. I am happy to say that with today's news about this version of Trend Micro Mobile Security we are off to a fantastic start in the New Year."
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704; TSE: 4704), the global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ global threat intelligence data mining framework, our products and services stop threats where they emerge – from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.
Additional information about Trend Micro Incorporated and its products and services are available at Trend Micro.com. This Trend Micro news release and other announcements are available at http://NewsRoom.TrendMicro.com and as part of an RSS feed at www.trendmicro.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @TrendMicro.
SOURCE Trend Micro Incorporated